Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

May 4, 2007

Southern Fiction

Having moved out to the Pacific NW six years ago (holy crow, has it really been that long?), I have intentionally stayed away from so-called 'southern fiction.' I was surrounded by it, beaten about the head by it, and generally not all that impressed by it when I was in Virginia. In reality, it was probably just a reaction to the Faulkner I was forced to swallow in high school. I kept hearing about Larry Brown's posthumous unfinished novel, 'A Miracle of Catfish,' so after the ninth subversively proverbial 'plate of shrimp' moment, I decided to give the south another try. You know what? 60 pages in, and the character development and the authentic voice of this novel have me itchin' to know what happens in each of the emerging story lines.

No comments: