Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

May 17, 2007

Apropos of Nothing

A Miracle of Catfish was too good. If'n I ever choose to read an unfinished novel by a deceased author in the future, I'd prefer it to be sub-par. Brown's last novel had me so wrapped up that I was fairly 'ticked when it ended. Think about the great books you've read that left you wanting more -- at least those books were finished thoughts. That said, I found Miracle to be one of the best 'finds' of the season.

Looking ahead, I'm sad to say the fall season seems to be a bit thin. There are a few books that have caught my eye, but nothing big yet. I've still to receive a good number of catalogs, so the fingers are still crossed. In years past, this kind of season has meant we've discovered some new talent, and I certainly hope that is the case in '07.

In lieu of a book today, I'm linking to one of the coolest small publishers out there. Milkweed is a non-profit press dedicated to making a "humane impact on society." They first came to my attention when I read Seth Kantner's Ordinary Wolves, and I've loved everything they've done since. Oh, and everyone I've met that works there is cool too...

No comments: