Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

March 19, 2007

Just got back from the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association spring tradeshow, where quite frankly I didn't see anything of interest to write about in terms of books to look forward to. However, the banquet for the 2007 PNBA award winners was fantastic. Standing ovations for each winner who spoke out against the war in Iraq and certain individuals behind it. I snapped this quick picture with my camera phone.


From the left:


-Russ Lawrence, current President of the ABA and Montana Bookseller, streaking (not literally, thankfully) in front of the winners.
-David Biespiel, editor of Long Journey, a poetry collection from OSU Press.
-David James Duncan, author of God Laughs and Plays from Triad Books.
-Jess Walker, author of The Zero, from the now defunct ReganBooks.
-David Relin, author of Three Cups of Tea from Viking, and Greg Mortenson, the subject of said book.

All are great books, but I think Duncan's is the most important -- everyone needs to read this counter to the insanity of fundamentalism. I was on the award committee that chose all these titles, and you can read more about them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, a committee! Does it come with a leather chair? ("Rea, if someone asks you if you are a god, you ... SAY ...")
I very much am looking forward to "God Laughs ...", despite the fact that I know ahead of time that hippy me will enjoy it. ON MERIT, not in any Mann Coulter-Geist kind of hateful "told what I want to hear" kind of way.