Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

October 31, 2007

The Horror!


That's right, I read an Oprah pick. In my defense, it was on my stack long before Oprah got her hands on it. In point of fact, I listened to rather than read Cormac McCarthy's The Road, but then audio books are really another form of reading, 'cause it's all literacy. In hindsight, I should have stuck with the codex here for a couple of reasons. The story has very few characters; an unnammed father and son account for almost all the dialog. The narrator did a great job with the father, but the whiney voice of the son grated. The story, which has no real beginning and not much of an ending, is not what defines this book but rather the stark writing -- something best enjoyed in one's head and not out loud.

No comments: