Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

March 24, 2008

A Good Character

The FRL has a small but growing collection of CD audio books, so I am a bit limited in what I can throw on during my commute. These items, however, HAVE reacquainted me with a writer I previously gave up on. Daniel Silva wrote a great debut spy thriller about a decade ago called The Unlikely Spy -- a crusty but crafty old British academic, the Enigma machine, Natzi's... a good ride. His next book, though, didn't last three chapters in my stack.

And yet, I listened to his newest, The Secret Servant, and enjoyed it enough to backtrack and begin to trail the franchise character, Gabriel Allon through Silva's fiction. Allon, an Israeli spy trained as a world-class art restorer, has a history that goes back to the hunt for the members of Black September. Having recently watched Spielberg's haunting Munich, I felt like I was jumping right back in with the story.

No comments: