Forthcoming Books

... musings and comments, probably to be read only by my brother and two other people.

August 8, 2007

Nice Rack

A visit to a friend in Olympia reminded me just what great bookshelves should look like. While everyone can be impressed by the old, glass-fronted shelves in his living room, it probably takes a real book dork such as myself to appreciate the balance of his collection. Not in the subject matter or variety of genre, but in the mix of old and new. Book design and construction has changed over the decades, and not always for the better. Well-worn and well-read tomes give any collection a feeling of depth and show a care in selection and preservation. They also serve as a way to visually sort a shelf when browsing.

I've always worked in bookstores that sell current and new books/editions. As such, my shelves at home lack the sense of the past that I see in Coker's collection. I have tons of galleys and finished hardcovers, but little in the way of an aging backlist. For this, I am a bit sad. But hey, in 50 years, my complete OED should look even more impressive...

No comments: